Your independent partner
Established in 1967 as a non-profit organization by 12 pension schemes for pension schemes, IST is Switzerland’s first independent investment foundation. Our primary objective is the management of well diversified high-quality collective investments.
- The Board of Trustees is made up entirely of members with many years of experience (8 pension funds, 5 independent experts).
- There are no banks or insurance companies represented on the Board of Trustees or in a position to influence it.
- Based in offices in Zurich and Lausanne, our qualified specialists focus on the needs of pension schemes throughout Switzerland.
- IST is subject to the supervision of the Occupational Pension Supervisory Commission (OPSC) in Bern and is audited by Ernst & Young AG. It is also a founding member of the Conference of Managers of Investment Foundations (KGAST/CAFP). Additional information about the Occupational Pension Supervisory Commission (OPSC) can be found HERE
Around 500 clients throughout Switzerland
The IST Investment Foundation manages approximately CHF 10 billion in pension assets for around 500 private and public sector pension schemes throughout Switzerland. Only tax-exempt pillar 2 and pillar 3a pension schemes and employer-sponsored welfare funds (in accordance with the BVG/LPP) based in Switzerland are permitted to invest in the IST investment groups.
- The IST Investment Foundation and the IST3 Investment Foundation also offer investment groups comprising US equity investments which are only available to a limited circle of pension schemes in the narrower sense and are entered in the BVG/LPP Guarantee Fund register. Investors in these groups are eligible for full exemption from US withholding tax on dividends from the shares of US companies.
- The IST2 Investment Foundation is open without restrictions to all Swiss pillar 2 or pillar 3a pension schemes.
Success built on open architecture
The IST investment groups are managed by over 20 external managers in Switzerland and abroad. Our well-established internal analysis process allows us to select the best and most cost-efficient asset manager for each asset class. The investment controlling process continually monitors each manager’s performance.
- Comprehensive, broadly diversified range of products permitting flexible implementation of a BVV2-compliant pension fund’s investment strategy
- Independent, transparent manager selection process
- Application of SVVK-ASIR exclusion criteria for all IST equity investment groups (further information can be found HERE)
- any years’ experience in the management of balanced portfolios
- Use of institutional funds exempt from stamp duty and value added tax. These funds are subject to supervision by FINMA
- Clearly structured investment controlling process
- Attractive fee structure thanks to pension asset pooling
Transparent and cost-effective investment
The collective management of pension assets has significant advantages over individual management:
- Volume-dependent fee model with issue/redemption fees credited to the investment group (direct cost allocation)
- Administrative overheads for monitoring investment groups are low. No need to worry about distributions, withholding taxes and corporate actions
- Exercise of shareholder voting rights attached to Swiss shares by IST and for foreign equities by the respective portfolio manager
- Free safekeeping of units with IST
- Daily liquidity (except Immo Invest Switzerland, Residential Real Estate Switzerland, Real Estate Switzerland Focus, Immo Global, ILS, Private Equity, Infrastructure Global and Infrastructure Debt)
- All investors have a right to information and the right to a say